Monday, June 18, 2007

Amazed!!!



When I survey the ponderousness of life itself and the fact that I have one - I am amazed! Did you choose to be? Did you choose when and where to exist? Either did I and yet here I am as well as there you are...


How do we explain such a miracle? How do we appreciate such an opportunity? Pain, sorrow, losses these are but experiences of being. Joy, happiness and ecstasy - again opportunities to experience this thing called life.


The other day I had some incredible chest pain and could not swallow. At first I panicked because I could not catch my next breath. Then a strange thing began to unfold in my MIND. I realized this unwelcome and alarming jolt was happening to me and that it might last for a long time. As I contemplated this unwelcome thought, I realized how time suddenly was moving in slow motion. The pain and starkness of this reality was taking over all my senses and I was pin-point focused on the event.


Now what?


I had a choice. I could dread this moment, a moment that seemed like a life time. Or I could settle into this experience. I decided to savor the journey instead of freaking out. I chose to take on this challenge with all the confidence my personal relationship to this point in my life with a sovereign God could afford. This was dangerous, after all, I might see HIM in a few minutes if this breathing thing stopped permanently.


I called out from inside my spirit - that part of me that's deeper than my mind of fears and dreads. I found my spirit calm and ready to respond to this God I needed more than my next breath.


As my wife nervously asked me if I wanted her to drive me to the hospital, I reflected back on my experiences with well meaning doctors and their best guesses and decided I would trust my Helper in the here and now instead. I hunkered down for the long haul, just in case.


Was it foolish male ego? Was it ignorant pride? Perhaps, one might wonder if it was just fear itself or denial.


No!


It was the calm only experience can bring. My experience's were rock solid. My experiences held stronger than even the pain and panic of the moment. My resolve was to walk it out confidently trusting in the One who has, in the words of John Newton from his world famous song, brought me "though many dangers, toils and snares - I have already come - tiz grace that brought me safe thus far and grace will bring me home.


"I especially like the Apostle Paul's famous insight on such troubles it goes like this, "We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us—they help us learn to endure. And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love. When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners."


I was amazed! I was not in fear but by the grace of my Father, I was experiencing an opportunity to develop a stronger resolve and endure this moment because I was suddenly aware that no matter how long this moment lasted - I would not be disappointed with God's love. Soon I was breathing normal again, Thank God!



How about your darkest moment? Trusting God isn't just for sissies or weaklings - some of the smartest and toughest have found Him there when they needed Him too. So take a deep breath and ....


THINK ABOUT IT!

No comments: